Monday, August 27, 2007

Elk


The last three elk going across the neighbor's property.

Rhiannon's friend, Megan, was over and happened to look out the upstairs bedroom window where they were playing and noticed a herd of elk walking across between our house and the new house that the neighbors are building. This is the second time in two years that they have come this close to our house. I gave Rhiannon my camera and she ran downstairs and was able to get a photo of the last three elk. The stags keep a lookout behind them for danger. The rest of the herd of about 15 were disappearing into the trees. DeWayne says he has seen a huge herd of around 100 elk south of Tillamook the last two weeks as he passed through to Lincoln City.

That same night Tiffany, Rhiannon, Ryder and I went outside at 3 a.m. to see the total eclipse of the moon. The sky was totally clear and we tried to get photos but needed a tripod. We could never see that many stars in Las Vegas because of all the lights. The shadowed moon and all the stars in the sky were gorgeous! I should have learned something about astronomy. I wish I recognized other constellations besides The Big Dipper and Orion.

We have been having the most wonderful weather--cool nights and pleasantly warm days. It is 79 degrees out now at 1 p.m. July, August and September are the best months at the coast. Every day when we go up the hill to get the mail we continue around the block. Sometimes we go over the hill down onto Ocean Drive. Rhiannon rides her new "birthday bicycle" and I am in my wheelchair. The blackberries are ripe and we stop and pick some. When DeWayne comes (on the days he is here and not working down in Lincoln City) he picks the ones up high or around in back of the bushes. He follows the deer paths through the bushes. Last month we had fun picking the salmon berries. They go from salmon-colored to red to deep red. Gary picked these little round blue-colored berries for me at Cape Meares from a ubiquitous plant found throughout the area.


Rhiannon in a blackberry patch on Pine Ridge Court road going up to the mailbox.


More blackberries

Today is Wednesday and Rhiannon went to Cannon Beach with her friend Megan to play on the beach and build sand castles. I am home alone so I went over the hill and down around Ocean Drive because it is too nice to stay inside. It takes about 45 minutes. I take my cell phone in case my wheelchair malfunctions, or I have an accident (so I can call Tiffany or 911).


ANOTHER SCHOOL YEAR


A nervous Rhiannon ready to get on the bus.


Waiting for the bus on the first day of school.

Tiffany and Rhiannon went to an open house at Rhiannon's school which begins next week on Tuesday. I walk Rhiannon to her bus stop every morning at 7:45 and then meet her at 3 p.m. and we take care of each other until Tiffany gets home from her lifeguard and swimming teacher job at the Astoria indoor swimming pool.

No comments: