Monday, October 1, 2007

A boring Sunday and other humdrum events

We stayed home from church Sunday as we were having a huge rain and windstorm and DeWayne didn't want to load the wheelchair, etc. We hung around the house all day. I read a book, watched TV and napped, and DeWayne cleaned the house and did laundry. Tiffany took the kids to the indoor playland at Subway in Astoria. They have been sick with fevers and colds and were crazily wild all weekend so I gave her $15 to go and give us a few hours of peace and quiet! Tiffany has been sick too and missed a day and a half of work.


The wind blew these over during yesterday's storm. It even blew over the heavy ceramic pot that holds the rose bush!

What a change in the weather today! It is sunny and beautiful and when I pick Rhiannon up at the bus stop at 3 pm I want to go for a walk and take pictures to add to this post. We have to hurry with the photos because storm #2 is on its way and this will be the pattern for the whole rainy season which can last until June. We will have storm after storm interspersed with a day or two of clearing.


Looking South on Manion Drive from our mailbox.


Looking at the ocean from up by our mailbox


Looking down Pine Ridge Court from up by our mailbox


A meadow on Pine Ridge Court


The forest across from the entrance to our driveway


The neighbor's hydrangeas. Their bushes are 10 feet high!


Looking east from the neighbor's house where we sometimes see the herd of elk.


The entrance to our house

Home Sweet Home---33300 Pine Ridge Court

Stephanie (Brett and Kim's daughter) called and then came over and picked up her suitcases and things on Sunday with one of her girlfriends. She is living with her boyfriend and his family and going to Seaside High School this year. She stayed with us last year, but DeWayne didn't want Tiffany and me to have that responsibility since he is gone four days of the week. That decision has caused a lot of hard feelings towards us on Kim and Stephanie's part and I feel really badly about it. I didn't see her when she came over, but DeWayne said she acted cold and distant towards him.

I told you that Michelle brought back my cat and it turned out to be just in time since she (Michelle not the cat) got pregnant the following weekend. Cats who carry toxoplasmosis excrete it in their feces and if a pregnant woman changes the litter box, she can become infected with it and with dire consequences to the fetus including mental retardation and other birth defects as well as spontaneous abortion of the fetus. However, working in a garden and eating raw or undercooked meat are also dangerous to pregnant women for toxoplasmosis. The rest of us can be exposed with mild flu symptoms resulting and a large percentage of us are already carriers, so anyway, just in case you aren't already exposed, wash your hands well after cleaning it and avoid breathing in the dust from the litter box.

I think my cat has fleas (shudder), and I read that for every ten fleas on a cat, there are 25,000 eggs and larvae in the house (in the carpets, couches, and its bedding). My cat is scratching, scratching, scratching so on Saturday we went to the pet store and got flea shampoo, flea drops, and a flea collar. She sleeps on a down comforter folded up on the corner of my bed and I imagine all those eggs dropping off and the little larvae burrowing into the comforter and eating the little pellets of dried blood that fall off the cat and I get totally DISGUSTED!!! I now know more about the life cycle of a flea than I ever wanted to know. My brother Ken said he knows how to get rid of the fleas. GET RID OF THE CATS! Rhiannon wants my cat so Tiffany doesn't know it yet but tonight she gets to give my cat a bath.


Cuddles, the flea monster, out on Pine Ridge Court

I am so happy that many of you have blogs now. I love reading them and I love the connection with you and feeling part of your lives. So keep adding to them and those who don't have one yet, please start one for old granny Bowman's sake who is homesick for all of you.

2 comments:

DJ said...

What beautiful pictures of the area you live in. It looks like you had a fun time taking them. It's so pretty there, I can't wait to come and visit again. Aubrey has a new kitten, Snickers was either hit by a car or got in a fight with a dog, but anyway she passed away about 2 weeks ago. The new kittens name is Twix.

Michelle Lee said...

Mom, your comments always make me laugh. Your science background is amazing. I love how you call your cat, Cuddles, the flea monster. I swear she didn't have fleas before at our apartment. We never let her outside or to be by any other cats. The pictures are so pretty of your house and the surrounding area. I will appreciate it more when I have to come and visit from so far away. I won't miss all the rain and storms though.